5 Tips from Northern Michigan's #1 Red Hot Designer

I was recently bestowed the wonderful honor of being voted Northern Michigan’s #1 Red Hot Best Interior/ Kitchen Designer by the readers of Traverse Magazine. I truly was caught off guard by this and felt very blessed to be recognized by popular vote from the people of our community. This also got me to thinking….What does make a great designer? With the introduction of HGTV and popular home catalogues like Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware it seems everyone has become a designer. The design field is a wonderful career choice and I love to see so many people inspired to enter the field. So in my introspection on the topic here are some “best practices” I noted that make a space well designed as a unique individualized reflection of the personality and style of the owner. Designing your home should be a fun and collaborative process so I hope this advice helps you get inspired to tackle your next project and helps when looking to hire a professional designer!

1.       There is a difference between a “designer” and a “decorator”. Design starts in the planning phase and includes the functionality and layout of a space. Decorating, the finishing touches, is only one small part of the process and because it’s the “jewelry” it tends to get noticed but unless the space was built around a solid foundation it will never feel quite right just being just decorated.

2.       Your space should have personality so it’s unique to your tastes and likes. I believe wholeheartedly that you should only have items you find useful or beautiful in your home. This does not mean that you have to live in a minimalist environment but it does mean that we should look at each piece for its form and function.  I can share a wonderful example of this. I take my morning cup of tea very seriously (as do many of us) one day one of my staff members commented how much they like the coffee cup they were drinking from. It was pretty but so are many cups. I said “do you know why love it?” She replied it just feels good. I smiled because I knew it did. When I choose the mug I loved the way my hand was cradle around the round base and the handle was perfectly sculpted. This may seem extreme but it is exactly what a designer takes into consideration. When you embark take into consideration not only how something looks but how it feels. You will be much happier with the finished product if both form and function are married.



3.       Don’t skimp on color and texture. These things truly make each space unique and add charm. Don’t let the trap of thinking a neutral palette is the same as “builder beige”. Even if you like the safety of neutrality on the permanent pieces try to incorporate your favorite colors into decorative accessories or on feature walls. Painting one wall in your favorite trendy color makes it much easier to redo as your tastes change. One of my favorite things to do is to wallpaper the back of bookcases or entry bench. You can get very creative with color, pattern and texture without overwhelming the room. It also makes whatever is in front of it pop!

4.       Do be afraid of tile. At my firm we always try to employ the 3 F’s rule in a bathroom or kitchen. Floor, field, and feature tile. By mixing up the types of tile or how they are laid out you will create that designer look. Even if using the same tile, mixing up the sizes or installing it in a different direction can create dramatic effects. This is also great value because it doesn’t cost more to mix sizes or install on the vertical.


5.        I always try to use at least one true “custom” piece in every room. Something created just to the client likings. Trust me it is always worth it to have that perfect piece. It will provide joy every time you enter the room, give you a great story to tell, and ensure no one else can copy your look! This piece can really be anything but it should be something that is very important about the room to you. We have designed everything from custom pillows, art, dining tables, entertainment centers, glass on entry door, stair railings etc. It is sure to be the one thing people will ask you about!


I hope these 5 best practices will help you get excited about your project and they are sure to give it a designer look. Of course I always recommend using a professional designer because this type of insight alone does replace the amount of work that goes into a well-designed and executed space. As a homeowner you should have input creating your dreams but leave the details to us. Once again I want to say thanks to everyone who voted for me as their Red Hot Designer. I have a passion for design and apparently it shows!

Angela        

Comments

Popular Posts